Monday, August 13, 2012

Lesson Learned

Colton: "Mommy, can I have a  new game for my iPod?"
Mommy: "I just bought you three new games."
Colton: "But I want another one."
Mommy: "When you learn to be happy with what you have, then you can have another one."

This was a lesson I had to teach my little boy this past weekend. No matter what I give him, he seems to always ask for more. He's extremely polite and sweet when he asks, too. It's hard to tell him no, but then again, it's annoying to constantly feel like the only time your children want to talk to you is to ask you for something. 

While cleaning the dining room table the other day after this little lesson, I had an epiphany. That was the lesson God had just taught me. 

Last year, I lost a wonderful job when my boss closed her business. I was very upset, but quickly found another job. At the time, it felt like a blessing, but it didn't take long for reality to set in. Within days, I knew this was not the place I wanted to be. I let everyone know that I was looking for another job. I downloaded every job search app I could find on my phone. Every day I would comb the wanted ads. For months, I was absolutely miserable. 

I came close, once. A part-time job as and interior designer came up with a local builder. The interview went well and it would pay well enough that I wouldn't have to work full-time. I was devastated when I didn't get it. That might well be the first job that I've interviewed for that I didn't get. 

My hope came with the thought that I knew this was only a temporary situation. Eventually though, I gave up my quest. It's exhausting to be so miserable. Things got better at work. So much better in fact that my boss made a comment one day that made me think. He said, "Now you're starting to think like me." That thought honestly scared me. There was nothing about this man that made me want to be like him. He isn't a bad person. Just now the kind of person I want to be like or work well with. But I had started to realize this job was a little more permanent than I thought and I had better just adjust my attitude. So much of this life is determined by attitude. I learned a long time ago that you either change your situation or change your attitude.

As things went on, I realized things weren't that bad. I didn't wake up dreading the day anymore. But I certainly didn't enjoy it either. Finances were not that good either. I started looking for a part-time job to help even things out. 

Then, it happened. Out of the blue. Not even looking for it. The job for which I had been waiting. The job that was everything I wanted. The hours were good, the pay was great, the people seemed nice and I would be a designer again working with antique furniture and fabrics all day. Pure heaven! 

I am proud to say that I have been the new interior designer at Specialists of the South for 3 weeks now. The people and atmosphere are wonderful to work in. Every day, I wake up glad to go to work at a job I love with a wonderful family to come home to.      

So back to Colton and the lesson he made me realize. In the middle of my every day life, I realized the lesson I was trying to teach Colton was the same lesson God had taught me. He has blessed us in so many ways this past year, that it is truly amazing. He gave us these emotions. He must understand what they feel like. We are his children and we are constantly asking for more and more. I thank God every for everything he has done for us and for keeping everyone safe. There is no harder prayer and praise that I give than the ones for keeping my family safe. But he must get tired of being asked for every little thing. We need to bask in the glory of all that he has given us and all that we have because of him so that we can be happy. Once we truly appreciate the things we have and things he has done, will we begin to understand his love. 

It can't be forced appreciation either. You know how children go off and pout a while when they don't get their way. Then they're back 10 minutes later asking for more again. It has to be a genuine appreciation and thanks. The kind that makes you forget you're lacking anything. 

Most of you who know me, know that I am reserved when it comes to my emotions. (Jesse thinks it's strange that my family and I don't say "I love you"!) While I am a little embarrassed to share such a personal story, I just feel like I need to share it. Plus, when I write, I don't have to face anyone, I can just write for myself- which is the easiest thing in the world for me. So I apologize now if I ever share too much information with y'all!

Well, it's past my bedtime and I think I've said about everything I wanted to say. I hope y'all enjoyed the Sunday school lesson. One of these times I'll have to tell ya about the lesson Ava taught me. It stills get me teary-eyed. Till then...

Love,

Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. Please tell Jesse that your Momma says "I love you" alot. :) And, Sunshine, I love you. :) Enjoyed the post especially since I've been learning the same lesson the past week or so. You just put it in to better words.

    ReplyDelete