Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I am only writing this because...

I promised my grandmother I would update the blog! I am shamefully unapologetic about being a very inconsistent person. It's just who I am, no need to fight it. Anyway, sorry for the long delay. I was going to post Christmas pictures, you know last Christmas, but I didn't see a single one. Not one. It was a busy time and I took for granted that everyone around me had a camera so I didn't bother taking any. The normal after-get-together picture share somehow missed Jesse and I. So...I just never posted anything and then made up lots of excuses until I finally just forget about it.

So here's what you've missed. Colton turned 7 and we had a great birthday at Wonder Works. It's the "upside down building" on the beach that has lots of cool science displays. You can lay on a bed of nails, ride a bicycle that flips upside down, view some cool eye-tricking art and lots of other things. We all have a good time and go whenever we get the chance. 

Colton had a good school year. His teacher was involved in a very bad car accident during Christmas break and never returned to the class. But he still did good. 

The kids had an exciting summer, too. They got to stay with my parents on their little farm. They rode horses, fed chickens, gathered eggs and just generally got to play outside for 2 weeks. One of their favorite parts is going down to the pond and catching catfish for dinner. Colton caught a huge snapping turtle and Grandpa promised to send him the shell once it was cleaned. He's still anxiously waiting for it to arrive in the mail. He has informed me that if I see a big package show up, it's probably for him.

Ava on Rosie.

Colton riding the hay bales.

Colton on Bo.


We also went camping at Falling Waters State Park, about an hour and half up the road. It was beautiful! There were lots of trails to explore that went into some beautiful woods. The water fall was dry, but it was still cool to see where it is in the rainy season. It probably looks like Niagara Falls right now. I made the kids go exploring by themselves. Colton of course made friends with some fellow campers and then more friends down at the lake. I love how everyone in the camp is so friendly and you don't have to worry about your kids.



Speaking of camping, Jesse is planning on going on his annual hiking/camping trip in just a few weeks. Three weeks in the smokey mountains does his body and soul good. He and his friends look forward to it all year. I got to go horseback riding in the Rocky Mountains with Dad, Uncle Paul and cousin TaNeil. We had a blast. We spent the week trail riding and exploring. It rained the first 2 days and almost everything got soaked, but we were all in good spirits. Our dads took good care of us. There was lots of hot coffee and hot Tang being made. It took us three days to get to our campsite because of the rain and just general craziness. Our pack horse, Bo, fell off the trail at one point. That was scary. But he thankfully wasn't hurt. There was also lots of horse drama. Dad and I had three horses and Paul and TaNeil had three horses. Well none of them wanted horses from the other pack riding the trail near them. But they were all super excited to get on the trail so keeping them all apart proved to be a challenge. 

Jesse's dropping me at the airport. One carry-on. That was it.


This beauty was hand-made by Uncle Paul and given to me as a present. The handle is made from stag horn and camel bone.
Colorado is absolutely breathtaking. Everywhere I looked, it seemed that God had planned every little detail so that everything was filled with peace and beauty. The natural wildlife and landscape is just perfect. You get a sense of what life should be like. Living in the city truly disconnects us from the earth and from God. How can you be grounded when every day you're surrounded by things man has created? It's sad really.  


Somewhere in Colorado...

Any hoo...Summer is gone and things are moving right along. Colton and Ava now live with Jesse and I full time. Michael and Ashley moved up to Missouri to help my mom and dad clean their house up to sell it. So we also switched schools. His new school is right down the road from our house, which makes it very convenient. He already knows some of the kids in his class because they went to the same summer program together. His teacher, Mrs. Luciow, seems really nice and very good. Our only problem is that Colton hates homework! 
Colton's first day.


Ava's first day of pre-k.




Ava also started pre-k this year! She is so excited. I can't believe that she's going to be five in a few short weeks! There are only three kids in her class so she gets lots of attention, which she loves! She also likes showing me all the pretty pictures she colors and letters she's practicing writing. She also got a haircut! There was probably 6 inches taken off. She actually looks like a little girl now, not my baby.


She got a treat because the teacher said she used her manners really good!


                        
Her haircut!
It's amazing how absolutely opposite Colton and Ava are. Colton likes to spend all day in his pajamas on the couch watching movies and playing games. Ava never sits down to watch a full 20 minute show. She is always moving, even in her sleep. Colton sleeps bundled up in pajamas and socks and has the blankets pulled over his head. Ava only wears a pull-up to bed and never wants covered up. If I'm looking for books, I go to Colton's bed. If any toys are missing, I check Ava's bed.

Another new thing in our lives since my last post. Gizmo! He's the sweetest, most perfect dog for us. We found him at the animal control shelter. He's a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix. He likes to lounge around with us and is very well behaved. He's also our little riding buddy. His favorite words are "bye-bye." That boy will do circles waiting for you to leave. As soon as he hears car keys jingle, he's up and at the door waiting. The only thing he gets in trouble for is chasing cats and barking at the neighbors when they're in their own yard. But he loves to curl up with the kids and sleep and always keeps Momma company. He's my little shadow. 

Colton and Gizmo's perfect day.


I also got a newer car. It isn't good for anything but hauling groceries and babies. Ugh. Even the kids miss the jeep. Oh! We went to Disneyland for my birthday (Jeep broke down then, nice reminder, huh). We had a blast and wore the kids out! Thank goodness for the double stroller. The weather was absolutely perfect and the lines weren't that long. There was so much to see and do for everyone. We stayed from open to close. It was beautiful and wonderful! Thanks Mimi!

Early morning!

Notice Ava's dead tired stare.


Having a little fun at the pool.

Jesse and Barb at Cinderella's castle.

Oh yeah,  work two jobs now. My night job is at JoAnn's fabrics. I love that store!

Other than that, I think that's about it. I've probably forgotten few things along the way. But I'll try to update the blog more regularly.

Love,

Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment